MTB Trail Rating System
Mountain biking is a highly rewarding way to immerse yourself in nature, challenge yourself and enjoy time with others ... if you're on the right bike and on a trail that you can handle. If you're not, it can be pretty scary.
Note: the ride suggestions offered by Ride Republic are all "More Difficult" (intermediate) or easier.
The IMBA Trail Difficulty Rating System is a basic method used to categorize the relative technical difficulty of recreation trails. The IMBA Trail Difficulty Rating System can:
- Help trail users make informed decisions
- Encourage visitors to use trails that match their skill level
- Manage risk and minimize injuries
- Improve the outdoor experience for a wide variety of visitors
- Aid in the planning of trails and trail systems
This system was adapted from the International Trail Marking System used at ski areas throughout the world. Many trail networks use this type of system, most notably resort-based mountain biking trail networks.