Your riding ability and fitness
We want all our Ride Republic riders to have an awesome adventure. Our rides are specifically designed to take 3-5 hours and will take you to places off the beaten track, including some of the most popular local spots.
The secret to the Ride Republic rides is the electric mountain bikes which will guarantee you an awesome, achievable experience and transform the way you think about hills. That said, the e-MTBs are not motorbikes. They boost your pedal power but you still need to pedal! The ride length is 25-50km, depending on which tour you choose.
The road surface varies between tarmac, firm gravel and occasionally soft mud. To safely enjoy your experience you need to be comfortable riding a bike on uneven terrain.
Our cycling concierge will be at the Old Beechworth Gaol to meet you for the start of your adventure. The cycling concierge will ensure you:
- are comfortable on your bike,
- have all of the equipment you will need for a safe and enjoyable ride,
- understand the route directions for your adventure, and
- keep an eye out for the points of interest during your ride.
The cycling concierge will also be available via mobile phone throughout your ride to troubleshoot any issues. The cycling concierge will be there to meet you when you return and check to make sure you have had a great day out.
When to arrive, what to bring
In order to ensure you have the best time and allow us to support you on your adventure we ask that you;
- Arrive at the Old Beechworth Gaol courtyard by 9:00am on the day of your booking (alternative times are possible by prior arrangement)
- The route and safety briefing and bike fit process takes around 10 minutes per person. Coffee, tea, cold drinks and delicious slice are available at the Old Beechworth Gaol cafe to get you started.
- If you have hired a bike you must return your bike to Ride Republic by 3:00pm on the same day (alternative times are possible by prior arrangement)
Clothing and shoes
You can ride in whatever you like, but to best enjoy your day we recommend:
- Padded bike pants. Whilst you can get through your ride no worries without them, you are on a bike, with a bike seat, for 3+ hours…
- Cycling gloves. For riding comfort, and also for warmth if it’s a cooler day.
- Flat-soled runners or trail-walking shoes. Our bikes have flat pedals. If you have your own SPD click-in pedals and shoes then feel free to bring them.
- Cycling-appropriate clothing. Loose clothing will flap around or get caught in your bike.
- Weather-appropriate clothing. Beechworth weather can be changeable so check the forecast and be ready to adjust on the day. Remember to be SunSmart on warmer days.
Snacks and water
The bikes have two standard-sized cycling bottle cages (except the small bikes, which only have one). Please bring your own cycling bottles, which you can fill with water at the Gaol before you leave. The rides take you through the bush, so there are very few opportunities to refill your bottles during the rides. If you think you’ll need more water please bring a backpack with an extra bottle, or a Camelbak-style pack.
We recommend you pack a couple of gels or snack bars just in case you’re feeling low on energy during your ride.
Terms of Hire
When you book a Ride Republic tour you must accept our Terms of Hire.